January 9, 2011

slippers from felted wool sweaters


I love and enjoy so much the revived interest in crafting with upcycled materials. I laugh at days past where a wool sweater washed in hot water by accident was a disaster and became destined only for the thrift store. Now, I scour the second-hand shops for wool sweaters for this exact purpose! I found a few during the fall at our local little thrift shop for 25 cents a piece, and that made me very happy as my newfound hand-sewing skills have been looking for more practice.

So I made slippers as Christmas presents for our kids' little feet, to warm their toes all winter long. They aren't perfect, but I think for a first try they turned out super-cute. And the kids love them, which is all that matters!

I really had no idea how to make these, so I basically just generously traced each child's foot and then made a pattern with a sock (a basic bootie shape), which I blanket-stitched together both along the bottom, and then up the middle/back and around the ankle. My big boy got little felt stars and buttons as an accent. My big girl's were embellished with some flowers made from wool roving. For little man, I hand-stitched some little leaves out of the contrasting wool from the sole of his slipper.

There's still lots more felted wool in the basket. So many possibilies, and with a long winter still ahead, they'll be lots more crafting to come...

6 comments:

autumnmama said...

What sweet little slippers to warm the toes and hearts of your lovely family .... well done... light and peace to you ....
namaste..

PattyinCT said...

Beautiful! Great job! I'm still trying to find a way to recycle some of the more beautiful Christmas cards we received this year...Any thoughts you know you've got one taker:)

TwigandToadstool said...

Oh I LOVE those slippers! You'll have to teach me how to make a pair, as trying to figure out patterns is not my strong suit!
xo maureen

Wabi-Sabi Wanderings said...

Oh, oh! Me too, please. I sense a crafternoon in the making. Pretty please? Because those slippers are FABULOUS. And functional. Such a happy happy blend. I love your detail work too.

Erin said...

Thanks for all your sweet words!These little slippers really were so easy, even with all their quirks, like the lumps on the front of the blue ones. The tricky part for me was finding time to sew them when my littles were out of sight. A crafternoon would be lovely...and I would be happy to host! Let me know ladies.

Granny in long johns said...

I'm slowly learning this technology which I have all the equipment for but I find it strange and alien until I look up your blog and realize what a blessing it is to share your life on this screen and view those precious moments you share so willingly with those you love. Your enthusiasm for everything from recycled tiles to pine cone bird feeders reminds me that simple things can carry extrodinary entertainment and joy of living. You weave slippers and prayers together which come off with as much warmth as your homemade soup! There is a peace in you that I crave being part of - was looking for some inspiration this morning so I looked up your blog to see how the spirit is moving your family forward - such a delight to view photos of my grandchildren who by the way gave me quite a laugh - we didn't mean to put home schooling in jeopardy with the lego we gave the wee ones! Erin, you are a wonderful mother and make me proud. You have a remarkable balance of acceptance and creativity. Keep blogging - you never know who your words will bring joy to as they have on this winter morning to me.